Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: May 4th 1917
Mother and Father
Roy McKague

Following are interesting extracts from letters from Driver Roy McKague, son of Mr. and Mrs. John McKague, Hamilton Twp., who is expected, is either now in France or on his way to Mesopotamia. Driver McKague gives an interesting account of some of the tests put up to the Mechanical Motor Transports:

Perflect, England March 16, 1917

Sixty nine mechanical transport men came from Shorncliffe to Perflect, a little village on the Thames that has been made into a large military camp, and is situated about twenty miles from London. In coming, we marched through London from one station to another. The second day after arriving over thirty men were taken to a point fifteen miles the other side of London. We went by train, tube, elevator and train again, and lastly marched to the park where there were thousands and thousands of automobiles of all kinds, belonging to the war department. We each brought a car back - 75 ton 'karrier' trucks and 30 Ford trucks. A procession like this is called a convoy. (I had charge of a Ford.) We had to keep close to each other so as not to get separated, and we went as fast as a Ford could go, when we had the chance. Now please note that we drove those cars from a point the other side of London to a point this side. Believe me, I was never so sorely tested before. The traffic was fierce and we had to follow immediately on the heels of the car in front, in order not to get lost, and the speed we went through was awful. It seemed that we would never get through that abominable traffic, to own up I had a queer taste in my mouth all the time. In the suburbs a halt was called and we were all complimented by the Sergt-Major who said we did 'perfectly fine.' When we started again couldn't get my old 'tin lizzie' to go but succeeded after a while and went at good speed trying to catch up but couldn't get a glimpse of the convoy, but by enquiring my way, reached camp safely and to my surprise was the first back. After a short rest, I drove an officer twelve miles, so had quite an exciting day. Several days later we were taken back to that park and each man given a car for his own-mine being a dandy Ford, and had every confidence in myself coming through London, as we did not go at that terrific rate of speed. (Although one of the fellows lost his head and had a smash-up at Charing Cross. We are now officially attached to the 8th R.R. Troops, having to do with the transporting for the Battalion taking our cars overseas. Have had two days' leave in London which I enjoyed immensely. Our Battalion is now in quarantine for measles, but I am out with my car every day driving officers. The weather is very bad snow, rain, fog and mud.

April 4th - The news came out last night that the U.S. is in the game. As over half of the 8th here is composed of the 211 American Legions, there was great rejoicing and much displaying of Stars and Stripes. I was down at the Y.M. enjoying a good concert. In the meantime the 211th Band started playing up and down the lines and soon gathered a crowd of several hundred men. At the conclusion of the concert, they raided the Y. and gave another concert, the stars and stripes, President Wilson, The Canadians, Imperialists, and the Allies. The ladies were escorted to the station by a band and several hundred men. It certainly was some night.

April 12th. - Our Battalion leaves for overseas the 14th. The transports drive to Southampton, about 100 miles, where we take the boat - Destination being France or Mesopotamia - don't know which. Am going to the real test where a man proves himself a man, and am proud of the opportunity of my little place in the work. All things to grieve must be laid aside and hope and pray for the best.

ROY A. McKAGUE - No. 2003516, M.T.Section, 8th R.R. Troops, Perflect, England