Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: June 30th 1942
Mother – (Mary Stubbs)
Anthony Stubbs

June 30.1942

Dear Mother:

Well we had our 48 in Calgary but it turned out to be more a rest cure than anything else. The telegraphic transfer arrived a day late (I should have written much sooner, except that Doug. Lee was also expecting funds) but even so I was far the richest when we started out with 7.50. Doug. had 40¢. $4.70 had to go for transportation and the two WAG’s we met in Calgary hadn’t got much so it won’t be hard for you to believe that after paying for the first nights lodging in advance we awoke on Saturday morning with 11¢ between us. Luckily I was able to cash a cheque for 15.00 without any further identification than to tell the bank where I used to work but it took very careful budgeting to spread this over meals and hotel till Sunday night without allowing for any luxuries.

We are awfully jealous of the WAG’s who, besides being stationed at such a favorable location in Calgary, have no fatigue work but instead real tarmac duty and considerably more flying as lookouts (for which they draw extra pay). They also get a one o’clock leave every night (we have a 12 twice a week) ice cream sometimes and to top everything they have already been posted to a wireless school in Winnipeg and should leave this week.

There is a pleasant rumour here that we are to return to Edmonton for I. T. S. on July 4. I don’t bank on it very much but it is founded on the fact that apparently some ground crew here have remustered to air-crew and have been advised that they were to be attached to our flight. They were given two weeks furlough and told to report in Edmonton July 4.

Another rumour says we are slated for Vulcan to help open up a new station. I don’t like the sound of that. Quite by chance I ran into Ronnie McClymmont at the YMCA in Calgary. He gets his wings this week and had come up from McLeod to meet his mother.

Here is an example of the sort of work that makes fed up with this place. (Incidentally I hope this is not an example of what takes place in more important spheres of military affairs.) It was decided to beautify this place by planting trees so we were set to work to dig many holes. No one knew the size or variety of the tree which were being brought over from Vulcan. The next day we had to fill in every other hole and enlarge the others as the trees were 10’ to 12’ feet high and apparently much bigger than expected. The boys had a tough time getting them and had had to leave ;most of the roots behind so it was obvious none would live. Of the original ones planted one still lives. Undaunted they have today gone to Vulcan to get some more.

The day we left for Calgary there was a terrific rain all day coupled with a wind that reached 70 mph according to the control tower. It was the hardest wind I have ever seen and it flattened some of the more recently planted trees which still had a spark of life.

The last two days the weather has been very nice. I was beginning to wonder whether the sun ever did shine in these parts.

With love from


[Note: Transcription provided by collection donor.]

Original Scans

Original Scans