Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: June 1st 1917

Friday, June 1st, 1917

Well just a week ago to-day there was a big air raid by the Huns. There was no one in the 18th hurt. But the eleven Res. has 8 or 10 blown to pieces. Folkston suffered heavely. There were several bombs dropped in our parade ground but no damage was done. Our band was over to the 11 Res & put on a concert in the Y.M.C.A. after we had tea cake & a cigar. three cheers for the Y.M.C.A.

Saturday, June 2nd, 1917

I am getting to like my spring bed. & hate to leave it. in the morning. But manage to get breakfast alright. We practiced all morning. I went to Folkstone in the afternoon. I saw the building that were damaged by the air raid. Where a large nunber of people were killed you could see where pieces of shrapnel had sunk into other brick walls. we paid. 50¢ for supper.

Sunday, June 3rd, 1917

We played for church parade this A.M. & in the afternoon we walked to Folkstone & played Radnor Park in memoria to those killed in the recent air raid. There was a large crowd prenent. In the , evening we played a memorial service in Radnor congratulal chuch. We were served with lunch in the crept of the church and had to hurry home. all is well.

Monday, June 4th, 1917

We played for parade this A.M. & were dismissed for the A.M. after parade in the afternoon our band went over to Queens Canadian Hospital & played afternoon & evening untill 8.30 P.M. It was sports day at the hospital & I never laughed so much for a long time We got back at 9.PM.

Tuesday, June 5th, 1917

We got out of working in the A.M. & rested up for the afternoon When we went for a route march around by & through Hythe untill 5.P.M. The weather was very hot. In the evening there was considerable excitement was the alarm was given. Air raid. When we all beat it to the bush it was a faulse alarm. We were in the bush for about an hour.

Wednesday, June 6th, 1917

The day was spent rather quite we only praticed all day. But I might say that we were called up at 5.30 this morning for a sea bath at 6.A.M. but the weather was too cold for me to in the same with several other boys so I was put on pickett duty. I wrote three letters to-night.

Thursday, June 7th, 1917

The boys were shooting at the ranges all this week. & to-night they were put on a draft & only we three boys left. it makes me feel mighty blue. They will be here for about two weeks I wish I was going with them.

The band praticed all day & played for officers mess to night. The boys all feel good to-night. only myself very blue.

Friday, June 8th, 1917

We praticed all morning & had the afternoon off on account our hard work. On the evening We went over to the YMCA hut & put on a concert for the boys. We were assisted by three of the boys of the good old 181st band. There was a large crowd & it was free to the boys We got back to the lines at 10.P.M.

Saturday, June 9th, 1917

Well no.P.S. this morning for the band on account of our hard work last evening. & went on a route march to salt wood castle & Hythe. After dinner we three boys went to Folkstone & had a good time. Oh yes we were all called out of our comfortable beds at 2.A.M. on account of air raid. But never saw a air ship so went to asleep again.

Sunday, June 10th, 1917

We played for church servise this morning & in the afternoon we boys went to Hythe to see the Rev Edmison. But were disappointed as they had moved to London. We took a boat & went for a row up the channel we were out on the water 2 hours. & see some very pretty girls. We got back on time

Monday, June 11th, 1917

We played the parade out this morning & after that why rested up for our half holiday at one p.m. There was a buss came to Camp for us as a transport too Dover There was thirty two including Bandmaster & Chaplin. I was surprised at the rate of speed we traveled.

June 11/17

We went through Folkstone and up along the cliffs. The scenery was most beautiful of the water & also that of Folkstone.

As Dover is under marshall law we had to show our pass to get through. Dover is shipping port & also a naval base. We arrived at dover at 2 .P.M. & escorted by the shy pilot to the naval yards I was very much interested at the sights. As I never had the opportunity of seing sights such as that.

As we were walking along the pier. There was a squad of German airmen being escorted by our boys. they were taken prisoners While engaged in battle on the channel. They were also the crew of two seaplains. which the british brought down. We went on a little farther whenwe noticed several seaplains in their shed They are built & Repaired there We journeyed on a little further when the chaplin secured a

June 11/17

a permitt for us to got through the navey yards. Where I had the pleasure & being showen through the north star Torpedo distroyer & it was some sight. I seen them loading torpedos on board & also had a fine cup of tea with the chief stoker. We left the distroyer at 4.P.M. & went up town for a walk & to see the city. I noticed a castle on the cliff. But didn't go up as I would of liked very much. We had supper in town & were asked for our pass before we could get any thing to eat But found no trouble in eating at all.

The happy bunch left Dover at 8.30 P.M. for home. we were singing near all the way to Folkstone. Where we three boys & several others also got out & walked around town & got back to Camp at 12.P.M. as we had a pass until that time. We all enjoyed the trip very much.

Tuesday, June 12th, 1917

We played for inspection by staff officers. after which we were dismissed to prepair our feet for a route march. & while I was at it I had a bath. But don't you think that was the first bath I had in England. We went on the march after dinner by the Queens Canadian hospital and on return we stopped at the hospital & played for about ½ hour for the patients. Then journeyed home. at least camp.

Wednesday, June 13th, 1917

While playing for the inspection of the drafts this A.M. at 11.a.m. we got the air raid alarm. & soon cleared the field staff officers & every body. Our own air ships of different type were sceaching the sky for fritz But he didn't show up around here. he went to London. But no harm was done. we recieved our pay to-day.which was small

Thursday, June 14th, 1917

My experence to-day was rather quite especily the morning in which we spent praticing. Then in the afternoon we went on a route march. But were held up at west sandling Camp on account of air raid. No damage was done We had 1 ½ hours rest & journey back. In regards to the air raid yesterday there was 97 killed & over 500 hurt in London but no damage done around here.

Friday, June 15th, 1917

The boys recieved instructions to be ready for to leave for france to-morrow at.1.P.M. We spent the morning in playing for inspections & in the afternoon we went over to the Queens hospital where we played for the patients. They gave us some eats, which were greatly appricated in the evening we went we Hythe & spent the evening.

Saturday, June 16th, 1917

To-day was a day of gloom for me as the boys were packing up their belonings for France 44th. Batt We didn't do anything only play for parade in the morning & at 12.30 A.M. We feel in parade to take the boys away. We left here at 1.45 PM & were inspected by the staff on Sir John Moors. Estate grounds from there we went to Folkstone & left the boys at 5.P.M.

Sunday, June 17th, 1917

I put in a miserable night we had to get up at 12.30 P.M. on account of air raids. But nothing turned up to cause any arlarm. We slept with our clothes on the rest of the night. To-day I find it very lonesome with out my chums especially Harry & Bill. I didn't leave the camp all day. I spent the day in writting letters.

Monday, June 18th, 1917

We had a muster parade which took up all .A.M. in the afternoon we practiced & in the evening at 6.P.M. We went over to the Queens hospital & played baseball & also gave them some music oh we have some ball team in the band I don't think. But we have no buttons to clean on our tunic as we have black ones & a black leather belt & pouch to carry music.

Tuesday, June 19th, 1917

I had a good night sleep managed to get breakfast. After which we played on parade as usual & praticed the rest of the day I spent the rest of the day in writting letters Because I am broke oh some life this soldiering believe me. It is no discragce to be broke But I find it very inconvient just the same Oh for a few green backs now.

Wednesday, June 20th, 1917

We had a route march this afternoon out to our favorite hospital the Queens. We marched into the play grounds of the patients & left the men there for drill as it was too hot for marching While we went & played for the patients We just got back when it started to rain. Oh joy I got two quid to-day & all is well now.

Thursday, June 21st, 1917

I lost another old chum to-day Jim Heath. He went in a draft. 52 to France. We played the draft away at 1215 AM. & arrived at Folkstone at 1.10 P.M. We only stayed by the pier for a few minutes When we struck back. We all got wet through comming back & my clothes are not dry yet. But drying. I had a feed at the .S.A. hut to-night making the money fly.

Friday, June 22nd, 1917

I put in a cold night my clothes were not dry & of course I blame near froze all day. some more of that sea breeze stuff. But I should worry. We played at the concert in the canteen to-night Which was all local talent except one lady. It was very good. after which we went & played for the officers and all I got was a glass of Lemonade. Was I hungry. Oh no

Saturday, June 23rd, 1917

We got off of P 3. this a m also a route march. We praticed in the morning. We had to play for a funeral this.P.M. at 3.P.M. from the Shorncliffe Military hospital to the burial grounds that was the first funeral that I have played for in this country. We got back at 4.15 Walter & I went to sandgate to night & took in a free show.

Sunday, June 24th, 1917

I wittnessed a peresentation of a Military Medal to a fellow out of the 6th CM.R won june 1916 He was presented a church parade. This afternoon our band played a concert on the lees at Folkstone which was largely attended We had to buy our own supper at Folkstone. you talk about high financing believe me I am getting experience got a parcel to-day from miss Mann.

Monday, June 25th, 1917

I got a letter from Harry Mann to-day He is well also Bill. We had the morning off to-day for a rest of course we deserved it oh yess I went over to the Y.M.C.A. hut to-night to a concert by a London party of girls Which sure was good & clean. I enjoyed it very much. I feel very tiered to-night.

Tuesday, June 26th, 1917

This was passes lucky day as he is a father to a son. & some happy lad to. We had a route march to-day around the Queens hospital. We stopped at the hospital to play. But learned that another band was there so we were out of luck. We lay down & had a fine slap. which went good. I wrote to Harry to-night.

Wednesday, June 27th, 1917

To-day was moving day for we three boys we moved our happy home into the band hut. We got paid to-day & all I got was ten shillings just imagine $2.50¢ to run me through oh it is tough But we can spend it before the 15th of july. We played the Batt away for a field day But only we didn't go far.

Thursday, June 28th, 1917

We stood on parade for over an hour this morning some stand believe me. We praticed all day & while playing for officers to-night it started to rain so we went & played in the Officers mess room there was no getting out of it. It is still raining. I went over to the Y.M.C.A. to night & had a feed. Which made me feel better as I have had no Can Mail for 2 weeks.

Friday, June 29th, 1917

We praticed all morning & blame near froze on P.3. But out side of that we were O.K. in the afternoon we went & played at the moore hospital But our luck as usual there no eats or lemonade tough Eh. The weather to-night is cold & raining. so I am retiring early to-night. As I hear that we have to roll out at 4.30 AM.

Saturday, June 30th, 1917

We had some route march this morning just about two miles further than should of went and up over favorite hill Oh yes I thought that we were going to get up early this morning But the weather was cold & also raining. so I sllept in untill 7 a.m & missed breakfast. I stayed at home all day. I got two fine letters one from Vivian & one from Peach some happy boy to-night.