Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: July 1st 1917

Sunday, July 1st, 1917

Oh joy I had a letter from my Dear Old mother & two others as well & miss breakfast again. I don't care how much it rains or how cold it is for a few days more as we have had wet & cold weather for about two weeks I spent the day in the hut beside the stove & writting letters I suppose you would like to know where we get the coal. Well we just get it.

Monday, July 2nd, 1917

Well this was a day of celebration Domion Day. We did nothing in the morning only pass & I went over to the Y.M.C.A. I took a Violin & things went punk. so the Band went to Folkstone in the afternoon to play in the band Competion & because I didn't play they only got fourth place out of seven bands. We had supper over there & of course we had to pay for it ourselves I am about broke again.

Tuesday, July 3rd, 1917

The weather was much nicer to-day I got more Canadian mail. But no parcels or money yet I wonder what the trouble is. We only praticed to-day as we sure need it after yesterday. I have been busy writting letters to-night. I think I had better get a private secretary on the job. But all is well.

Wednesday, July 4th, 1917

We only praticed to-day and as the weather is still cold & rainning surley there will soon be enough rain as we would like a change Oh this was a lucky day for this kid. As we have not got enough to eat those days. Well I got a fine parcel from pearl to-day Which we boys all enjoyed very much.

Thursday, July 5th, 1917

Well we can hardly believe that the weather has actualy got warmer But it is a fact. We practiced all morning. & done hardly anything in the P.M. until 4.P.M. then we were all taken to a Y.C.M. Where we witnessed a poor fellow got six months for beating up an escort. We played for the 18th amiture concert to-night Which was punk.

Friday, July 6th, 1917

We sure slept fine & managed to get Breakfast. OK. We did nothing after parade as it was field day & all the troops were out & we played for a funeral in the afternoon & nearly broke down in the march Oh some band. We got back in time for supper & I was busy writting to night & got a box from Father & Mother

Saturday, July 7th, 1917

We had a route march this a.m. and had only gone a short distance when we got the air raid alarm & up pulled into a bush where we stayed for over two hours we had a sleep. We didn't see any of Fritz plains There was no damage done here. I wrote letter all afternoon & stayed at home to night. The weather is fine. got a box from Etta & Mrs Morgan

Sunday, July 8th, 1917

There was another M.Medel presented at church parade this morning for good service rendered to wonded on the field. He was a private. at 1.P.M. The band went over to the Queens hospital untill 4.P.M. We also got a very nice Lunch. When We got back there was a parcel for me from Dear old Aunt Liz. We we boys had a good feed. Pass & I went to the Y.M.C.A to-night We heard a very fine sermon. & we have resolved to go again.

Monday, July 9th, 1917

Three months ago we left Bdn. & I am still in Eng. We parcticed all morning & also got 4£1 in cash for playing on the bus at Folkstone. say did I need it oh no not at all. But took it as a matter of habit. We had a route march this afternoon & when we got back there was a parcel for me from Miss & Mrs Crawford. I am. some lucky boy. five parcels already. But we all enjoy them very much.

Tuesday, July 10th, 1917

We only praticed in the morning & took the battalion out for a March as far as the hospital while they went scermishing & the band was supposed to have went & played at the hospital but we just pulled to the side of the road & had a fine sleep put one over on the major that time.

Wednesday, July 11th, 1917

To-day was field day for the Battalion so we played them about two miles out then returned to camp. We were paid at .1.P.M. another ten shillings. I wonder if money is scarce. But I got good news from Allan Money on the way for me. oh joy. I was busy writting letters to-night.

Thursday, July 12th, 1917

We praticed all day & I got a very nice box from gertie to-day as I was just about run out of eats so you can imagine how pleased we were to get it. We played at officers mess to-night from 6.45 to 9.P.M. as there was staff officers to dinner They only offered us lemonade & I considered it an insult so did with out such is life.

Friday, July 13th, 1917

I don't know how it happened But we were all up early this A.M. & had a muster parade at 9.30am. In the afternoon I mad up for it I slept all afternoon untill 5.P.M. then supper. after which I spent praticing on the Violin & also wrote more letters. Oh I am getting to be an expert at writting now.

Saturday, July 14th, 1917

While on the march this a.m. I noticed the crops beginning to ripen. Pat & I went to the Y.M. & I got a Violin & we praticed for about two hours after supper We went tot Folkstone & spent a very good time spending the money. We got back at 11.15 P.M. as the band as permatent pass untill 12 P.M. so we were O.K.

Sunday, July 15th, 1917

I spent the time rather quite. of course I was on church parade & had a pretty good sleep also I spent the afternoon & evening in Writting letters & anxiously awaiting that cable gram with that money from Allan as I will have a good square meal to-morrow if all is well. Oh. joy.

Monday, July 16th, 1917

Well I haven't got the money yet. We had a route march in the after noon over by the hospital & there we played for the boys for about an hour then returned back The officer in charge was Major Hunten an old imperial man But a fine fellow. Pat & I went & took in a picture show at Hythe. & walked back along the cannel We made good use of our permitinet midnight pass.

Tuesday, July 17th, 1917

Nothing of importance to report to-day only that I slept in & missed my breakfast. I spent the evening in writting letters I often think I could keep a private secretary busy. We retired early to-night as we are about broke & have no eats so bed is the last resorce however hard as it is We are glad to climb between the blankets.

Wednesday, July 18th, 1917

More rain again. It rained all night & all morning We had no parade in the .a.m. all we did was sit by the fire & write letters. In the after noon we had a short route march we got back early & it started to rain again. The roads were very good as they are hard & tared I spent the evening in writtng letters & before going to bed we made hot coffee & had a fine feed & had a fine sleep.

Thursday, July 19th, 1917

On P.S. again this morning after which we got a short notice of general mobolization that meant that to stand for two & a half hours with packs & 150 rounds of Amunition on your back believe me I was tired I slept from 2.30 P.M. untill 4.45 P.M. we played officers mess to-night after which pat & I went to the Y.M.C.A. & heard a lecture from a [?] he was very interesting.

Friday, July 20th, 1917

I don't like to tell it But I found some body lice on my person this A.M. & imeditaly reported to the M.O. & had pats & my own blankets & clothes fumigated & trust we are rid of them. We had to play for a funeral this afternoon & when we got back I was surprised to find Hughie Forshaw back from Frnace he was under age. We went over to the Y.M.C.A. in the evening to a concert after which I watch a base ball game.

Saturday, July 21st, 1917

Pat & I feel rather lonesome to-day since we lost our pet crumbs big fellows at that. We had a short route march in the A.M. & had to play for a funeral this afternoon. But that is not the first funeral we have had on Saturday P.M. We jut got in time for supper at which we had to fight to get enough to eat. Then I left the cookhouse hungry. We are going to raise the cookhouse some of those days.

Sunday, July 22nd, 1917

The weather to-day was very hot & while on church parade the air-raid alarm was give & we all took cover in the bush for 1 ½ hrs There was no damage done in camp. & we were done out of our surmon I didn't go out of the lines to-day as I am broke again. I recieved two Canadian letters to-day which made me feel much better I wrote letters this evening. & now the next thing is to crawl into bed. oh such a life to live. Broke half the time.

Monday, July 23rd, 1917

I didn't go on parade to-day at all I was sent to West cliffe Hospital for eye examination but they could not do anything for that bum eye of mine I had dinner over there. & some thing to call a dinner I don't think. I got back about 4.P.M. & had a good feed before going to bed. Oh you hot coffee.

Tuesday, July 24th, 1917

Back on the job again to-day The weather still hot. we really praticed some real music to-day which was a treat. I spent the evening in writting again just four letters to-night including business letters of course. & feeling hungry again but broke again so will have to go to sleep without any.

Wednesday, July 25th, 1917

Praticed in the morning & left camp at 1.P.M. for York house hospital Folkstone at which we palyed for a garden party Gen Steele was prominent gest. We had a good feed & left there at about 6.P.M. Pat & I walked down by the fishery which was very interesting. We played a concert at the lees stand. Which went fine the best days playing I have had with the band. We got back at 11.P.M. & now for the hard boards.

Thursday, July 26th, 1917

Field day, to-day & We played the troops out about 2 miles Then returned for pay parade. & as usual all I got was ten shillings oh you talk about tough financing Well I understand it now. I had a good sleep in the afternoon untill .3.P.M. then we went & met the troops & played them back. We also played officers mess & spoiled our own evening I played a joke on the boys by walking in my sleep. oh some life.

Friday, July 27th, 1917

I really don't know what happened to-day, but we really praticed some real music Such as morning noon & night & sevral other hard ones. We praticed all day & I also got four letters from Canada In the evening I was watching farmers cutting oats. They certainly don't hurt themselves. They used three horses one team on the binder & a fellow riding on horseback hitched ahead & one man on the binder & another man walking along behind I don't know what he was doing & three men stooking just imagine

Saturday, July 28th, 1917

We had some route march this a m & the weather was very hot & most of us were nearly all in. I took a fine sleep from 1.30 P.M. untill 3.30 P.M. then after supper Pat & I went to Folkston for to get rid of our money. I bought a center piece for Vivian for her birthday We both took in the movies & it was a good show. They allow smoking in all the theatres in this country even women. There was a fine orchestra in attendance. We got back at 11.45 PM. & found our bed all ready for us just like old times not having to make your bed.

Sunday, July 29th, 1917

We just got out on church parade & recieved a very short sermon & it started to rain but cleared up at noon. & after dinner we had to play a dover range party. we played them about 3 ½ miles out & got back at 4.15.P.M. some hot weather believe me. I laied around this evening & wrote letters. as it keeps me busy writting but I should worry as I like to get letters. Well I am making coffee to-night for a feed.

Monday, July 30th, 1917

We had a good pratice in the morning & after dinner we had to turn out on a route march. We got back at 415 p.m. after supper we walked to Folkstone to play a concert on the leas. The weather began to rain so our concert was called off. So pat & I took in the movies. & also had a light lunch We had to walk all the way back in the rain. & of course wet through. But slept well.

Tuesday, July 31st, 1917

The weather was still wet it rained all-night & all day We got out of physical trainning we didn't have a parade all-day & all we did was write letters & sleep. The evening was cold & wet. So we made our bed early & crawled in. The rain over here doesn't keep the boys in at all. as most of them are out yet.