Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: April 1st 1917

Monday, April 9th, 1917

The 181st left Bdn at 11.A.M. play in Wpg for 45. Min. The weather was cold. we were at. Kenora Ont. at 9.40 P.M. spent a cold night. But all is Well. The meals are good. & lots of. it. everybody is happy to-night. I recieved many parcels when I left Brandon.

Tuesday, April 10th, 1917

We arrived at Fort William at 8.A.M. took a march across the town. for about 40 Min. We are traveling around lake superior in day light. The scenery is beautiful. though is only rock. The weather is warmer We arrived at White River at 8.48 P.M. & gave them some music bed time & all is Well.

Wednesday, April 11th, 1917

We traveled untill 12AM. Without detraining. our first stop was North Bay. Ont. We took a route march. & played at the Depot our next stop was chalk River. at which We detrained for about 15. min. We also intertained Visitors. at 5.30 PM from here the scenery is most beautiful. The weather Warmer- Very little snow. We passed my old Ont town Arnprior. at 10.P.M.

Thursday, April 12th, 1917

Arrived at Montreal at 5.30 a m. We left Montreal at 7.30 a.m. the screnery was good for 100 miles from there all through Quebec the land seamed barren. We stopped at Chaudiere for a march the town was very dirty the worst we struck. our train was changed on to the I.C.R. along the north road. We didn't touch the city of Quebec.

Friday, April 13th, 1917

We arrived in N.B. at 10.30 am time changed 1 hr faster We took a march through the streets. There was plenty of mud. There was a large crowd turned out. The name of the town was Campbellton. all the snow had not gone. We got to Moncton N.B. at 7.45 .P.M. There we had their town band to meet us & play us around the town Which is about the size of Bdn. The best town we struck yet.

Saturday, April 14th, 1917

We arrived at Windsor jet at about 6.A.M. here were sidetracted to wait on the transports. The village is very small. But a great deal of Railway traffic We set out for a march through the hills. But did not go far as I guess the O.C. thought we would get lost.

Sunday, April 15th, 1917

We are still at windsor east We went for a stroll through the hills and around the lakes. We went about 8 miles & enjoyed our walk. fine. We spent the afternoon. around the train we played for the boys. for a while. The weather was very hot, In the evening a bunch of our boy went over to the Hotel & spent a evening in song.

Monday, April 16th, 1917

We left Windsor jet at 10.a.m. for halifax. We arrived at about 10.45a.m. We detrained & marched to the pier at which we embarked to the Grampain liner. The scienery comming to the Depot was beautiful. a number of ships were in the harbor. We got our dinner at 4.P.M. it was fine, then at 4.30 we broke our teeth on soldiers biscuits.

Tuesday, April 17th, 1917

We put in a good nights sleep on board. as the ship was anchored. In the morning, We went on deck. for P.T. We strolled around the ship. We played for two hours on deck for the boys there are about. 17.000 soldiers on board. We did not get our sailors biscuits to-night.

Wednesday, April 18th, 1917

We got up in time for breakfast. & walked on deck for a while after which we went below for pratice. We also pacticed in the after noon. & at 6.30 we pulled out for the sea. & oh. the feeling There are about 4. troop ships going to-gether along with escorts.

Thursday, April 19th, 1917

We found ourselves out in the sea this morning & before noon there were boys of the band sick. The only thing to see is the water & the four other ships. We passed the Olympic liner this evening. There are about eight of the boys sick to-night. But I am alright yet. & eating like a horse. slept well last night. & going to sleep again now. Weather is cold.

Friday, April 20th, 1917

our second full day on the sea the Weather cold but a calm-sea. it is lovely. only a little rocky a times. There was no band playing to-day as there are ten of the boys sick. But I am alright yet. But if this tub rocks much more I may be sick anytime. I was watching the ships form single file to-night as we travel one behind the other at night. I can eat.

Saturday, April 21st, 1917

When we got up this morning the weather was cold & snowing. we did nothing only stay on deck. as there are too many of the boys sick. In the afternoon. a strong wind got up. & the waves were washing the decks of our boat. the boat was bobing around like a cork. bedtime & I am alright yet.

Sunday, April 22nd, 1917

We put in a very rough night but managed to hold onto the bed. the boys are feeling better to-day. We didn't have any church parade to-day the sea contunes rough. We sat on the chairs on deck most of the day. Watching the other boats. The meals are not near so good. But I guess we will stand it for a while longer.

Monday, April 23rd, 1917

We put in a better night & this morning it began to rain & blow. the sea got rather rough. & this afternoon the band gave a little concert on deck for the boys. the first for a few days We also played for officers mess to-night & Oh could smell the good stuff. But whats the use. Iam not sick yet.

Tuesday, April 24th, 1917

after putting in another rough night. Most of us were dizzie We are all using our lifejackets all day & keep them handy. I used some wax on my [?] to-day. & it is quite an improvement The band gave a concert in the second class dinningroom from 8.15 until 9.15 for the orphans home in Liverpool The meals are very poor. But still diving through it.

Wednesday, April 25th, 1917

our seventh day at sea. was very quite. the sea was rough with a strong wind blowing the weather is cold. & the meals are better. We did no playing to-day. The boys are feeling a little better to-day & I am still going strong. We are listening to the rats fighting to-night but all is well.

Thursday, April 26th, 1917

When We got up this morning the weather was clear & warm the best day we have had every body is feeling fine because they think we are near land..& maybe we are. we played on deck for awhile this afternoon & for the officers mess to-night Bedtime & all is well.

Friday, April 27th, 1917

The weather today is fine & warm it is great on the water to-day. We are taking a zig zag course. this last two days. There are sea gulls following us to day. The gunner was trying the 6 in gun to-day & caused some excitement. fellows thought that a sub was around. But all is well. oh yes a rat ate half of my lunch to-night but out side of that. it was alright

Saturday, April 28th, 1917

at daybreak we were met by five distroyers & all struck for port alone with one distroyer each. I witnessed a knock out boxing bout to-day of 5 rounds at 8.30 p.m. we passed a light house on the coast of Ireland We are traveling at full speed. & all is well. we had quite a concert to-night the weather was foggie.

Sunday, April 29th, 1917

We arrived at Liverpool at 2.10 PM & left at 3.50. P.M. over the L.N.W.R. The trains were very odd. the scenery was beyond anything I ever saw. I took note of the following - airships tunnels Canals green grass & flowers brick bridges railway water troughs speed at 60. Miles per hr. We went through the middlelands of Eng. We struck London at night about 10. P.M. the scerch lights were playing on the sky. It sure is some village. We arrived at Shornecliffe station 12.30 P.M. & walked about 3 miles to our camp. & all is well. & slept fine.

Monday, April 30th, 1917

still in the tents & little coller the weather is clear & the sun warm I picked my first flower. We had a medical Exam & I was plucked for a weak eye. tough luck. There is no waste to the food here as there is just enough to go around we are at Dibgate lower camp just out of shornecliffe. there are ten of us in our tent-every body happy & well we have done no playing yet.