Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: July 16th 1944
Marion Loney
Ted Loney

K_____ Gnr. Loney EJ
"F" Battery
[July 16/44]

Dear Mom:

Well here I am again I have missed a few days.

In your last letter you asked about my going into the gun shed. All that was for is to get some practical work on the guns. So far all that I have been doing is painting and you don't learn much about them doing that. All of the guns are taken right down so I am learning a little about them. The guns have not been fired for some time and at the present time are only used for training so not much goes wrong with them.

I should have mentioned it before that I do not need any razor blades now as I brought a bunch with me. That goes for soap as well, in the case of soap we are issued with a bar every 2 weeks. It is not very good as it is too soft. Ad for buying blades we can get them but cannot buy soap without a coupon. I also have a couple of sticks of shaving soap so I can get by for some time along that line.

None of the parcels or cigarettes have arrives as yet but expect them any day now. The boys say that they take about 6 to 8 weeks to get here. The main things that we look for in the parcels are candy cheese and crackers. We have all the cloths that we need except for the odd pair of socks which always come in handy.

Well I don't know if this country is as wet every year at this time as it has been so far but if it is I will shoot the next person who says that it is like the weather around Vancouver. The temperature is about the same but that is all. For about two weeks after we arrived here it was swell but since then we have been getting rain nearly every week.

I have seen a few of the "Doodle Bugs" flying around but not many. A couple of them have come down near the camp but no damage was done.

The ban on traveling has not been lifted as yet so I have not been able to travel very far as yet. Yesterday I went for a train ride to a town about 15 miles from here it cost me 1/6d return, about 35¢. The trains are sure jammed if you are not on the edge of the platform when it stops you don't get on. They only stop for a couple of minutes. I went to see "Ali Baba & the Forty Thieves" as it was the only show in the town that I hadn't seen.

Well I must close for now.


I forgot about the compensation board so will write again in a couple of days.