Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: August 16th 1942
Mother – (Mary Stubbs)
Anthony Stubbs

Aug. 16, 1942.

Dear Mother:

On Monday I went “up” in the pressure chamber test. First we went up to 18.000’ and stayed there 10 minutes without oxygen masks. None of us had any feeling of faintness or other sensations but actually our efficiency as down to 75% or so. Then we went on to 24.000’ and started down. Usually there is one or two each time whose ears won’t clear properly due to a cold or something and I was one of these. By the time we were down to 16.000 there was a terrific pressure in one ear so up we went to 20000 again and came down very slowly and it was O. K. Yawning is supposed to be the best way of clearing the ears and it was sometime before I found that swallowing worked much better for me.

We also had a test nicknamed “brain test” to see if you have epileptic tendencies. This is four electrical contacts glued to the head and another to an ear. During the test you lie down in a small room by yourself so I have no idea what the operator sees on his dials or what its all about.

I have had all my link sessions now. The last two were with all controls and surprisingly enough, holding the nose on a mark under rough air conditions was fairly easy compared to side slips.

On Wednesday afternoon we had a station track meet and some of the races were run in remarkably quick times considering the lack of training for them. I got 3rd in the pole vault again but this time cleared 10 feet. The winners tied at 10’9”.

We had a wireless test last week in which I got 95% at 6 per min. A few people got 100% in both sections. Tomorrow we have a mathematics test. This will be very easy but one will have to watch for arithmetical errors. Some of it is about Grade V or VI.

Navigation continues to grow more and more interesting and has not become difficult to date. We have an interesting little circular slide rule which converts knots to mph, corrects an air speed indicator reading for temperature and height and many other navigational problems, in a few seconds.

Duty watch will be over Monday night. I was lucky last night for I was detailed to the sergt’s. mess and when we got there we were told there was nothing to be done. One day I was drying dishes at the officers mess. This isn’t a bad job because when it is finished you are given peaches and cake and all the milk you can drink.

We have no flying here—it is all ground studies.

Unless the bottleneck is cleaned up by the time we finish ITS at least the future pilots should get leave. Some chaps left this morning who had been waiting since the middle of June for an opening in E. F. T. S.

With love from


[Note: Transcription provided by collection donor.]

Original Scans

Original Scans