Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Date: June 14th 1943

June 14, 1943

Just a few lines to give you all the late news. As you know, Kay and I were married at St. Michael and All Angels, in Mill Hill at 2:30 on June 3. The weather was showery but the sun came through as we were leaving the church which made it possible to get some lovely pictures. They are really quite good and I know you will like them.

Yes, Liulf was able to be there and made quite an efficient best man. The cake arrived just four days before the day and was in dandy condition, in fact it could have been bought in London, judging from its condition. Mrs. King managed a two-tier cake that would have done credit to a professional cake shop. After the ceremony, a reception was held at the King residence and was attended by about eighty guests. Aunt Madelaine and May made the trip and seemed to be very pleased with themselves for having come. Mr. and Mrs. Ravenscroft were also present. A few of the boys managed to get a pass to attend, as you will note by the guard of honour made up of N.F.S. girls from the local station and the aforementioned lads.

At 8 p.m., Kay and I left for London proper and the Regent Palace Hotel where we put up for the night. On Tuesday afternoon, we boarded the train for Torquay and Devon. We spent a most enjoyable six-day holiday at the Palm Court Hotel on the seafront. Our one complaint was the lack of sunshine, though I did have one dip in the ocean. On Thursday, we packed our bags and paid Aunt May a short visit at Budleigh. I had sent Auntie a wire so she was all ready for us. The dear old lady had a lovely dinner ready for us, including a lovely fat hen, which is quite an effort in wartime. I think Kay has won Auntie May’s heart, so I expect you will hear from her soon. We arrived back in London on Friday the 11th and this finished the happiest holiday I ever had. Kay had to report for duty at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, which wasn’t so good because my pass didn’t expire before noon. So, taking matters in hand, I phoned the fire station and arranged for an extension of eight hours. In the afternoon, I saw Kay off to work and then caught the next train back to camp.