Search The Archive

Search form

Collection Search
Newspaper Article

Pte. J. Law

Second contingent, Q.O.R. 486 Euclid ave.

Was Twice Buried.

Buried alive for half an hour when the German shells smashed his parapet, Gunner John Law, son of Mr. William H. Law, 486 Euclid avenue, who has been awarded the Military Medal, was finally dug out none the worse for his experience. It is believed that he was awarded the Military Medal for staying at the telephone station while under heavy fire in the same engagement last October.

Bomb. Kirk

Gnr. J. Law. Patrick, who is with Gunner Law in the same unit, won a Military Medal at the same time, and he describes how the honors were obtained in a letter written to a friend in Toronto.

“The way I came to get it was by being on duty in the trenches during a scrap some time ago. There were two of us on telephone duty with Capt. Powell our observing officer. The other fellow’s name is John Law of Toronto. We certainly had the time of our young lives. The result was that Capt. Powell, Law and myself were all recommended. The recommendations all went through, and Capt. Powell was awarded the Military Cross, while Law and I received the Military Medal. Believe me it was fast and furious, and everything seemed to be coming our way. Fritz knocked the parapet down on us with a shell, burying Law and two men completely. It took us a half hour’s hard digging to get them all out alive, but they are O.K. now. All the time the fight was going on full blast, but we forgot all about it for the time being.”

This is the second time Gnr. Law has been buried at the same time his friend, Pte. Allister, Mackenzie, Canada’s champion canoeist, was killed.

He went overseas with the 19th Battalion in the machine gun section, and after a year in the trenches was transferred to the 13th Battery. Of the 27 who went over in his machine gun section, only five are left. He is 24 years of age, and before enlisting was employed with the Confederation Life Insurance Co.

Original Scans

Original Scans