The Canadian Forestry Corps was originally formed during the First World War to respond to the military’s urgent need for wood. It was reformed early in World War II with an initial twenty Companies, expanding over time to add ten more.
The soldiers of C.F.C. No. 29 Company spent several months undergoing military training at Valcartier, Quebec, before shipping overseas in May of 1942 aboard HMT Banfora for deployment to forestry work in Scotland. The Corps was disbanded in September of 1945.
The collection’s single photograph is of the members of the No. 29 Company, Canadian Forestry Corps, taken in Scotland in August of 1943. It was donated as a “orphaned” photograph, provenance unknown.