Gladys Hornibrook (m. Basso) was born in 1901, the eldest of eight siblings of parents Thomas Henry & Martha Jane Hornibrook, in the village of Sundridge on the shores of Lake Bernard, Ontario. Gladys was just thirteen years old when World War One began. Collected here are the letters, postcards, and other keepsakes that she received and saved from family and friends throughout the war.
The collection is mainly composed of the letters and other items that Gladys, an avid correspondent, received throughout the war from the soldiers listed below. Collection materials can be viewed both separately by following the links to each individual sub-collection, or all together here through the Collection Content listings for Gladys given below.
The soldiers that are part of this collection are:
- Her uncle Private Charles Edward Hornibrook, Ser# 3103794
- Her uncle Private. Joseph Edgar Hornibrook, Ser# 607661
- Her step-uncle Private William Harold Hamilton, Ser# 657521
- Friend Company Quartermaster Sergeant James Minorgan, Ser# 657846
- Friend Lance Corporal Richard Gardinar Munroe, Ser# 657440
- Pen pal Private Robert Gilmore Beatty, Ser# 237458