Nursing Sister Wilhelmina (“Mina”) Mowat, ARRC, was born January 1, 1888, in Hepworth, Gray County, Ontario.
A graduate of Brandon General Hospital’s Training School for Nurses, Mowat enlisted with the Canadian Army Medical Corps on June 3, 1915, in Montreal, Québec. She spent several months working in England at No. 11 Canadian General Hospital, Moore Barracks, Shorncliffe, before her deployment to France in February of 1916, where she served with the No. 3 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station, C.A.M.C. After returning to England in April of 1917 to recover from a severely broken leg, she resumed work at No. 11 Can. Gen. Hosp., Moore Barracks. In June of 1918 Mowat received the Royal Red Cross 2nd Class (also known as Associate of the Royal Red Cross), given in recognition of exceptional services in military nursing.
Mowat returned to Canada in June of 1919 and continued to work as a military nurse until her demobilization discharge on September 30, 1920. That same year she married Richard Douglas Waugh, a WWI army veteran who had served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force with Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians).
The Wilhelmina Mowat materials were donated together with those of her cousin, Lt. Grant Davidson Mowat. Wilhelmina is mentioned in many of Grant’s letters, e.g. January 29, 1917, in which he writes about the leave they spent together in London and East Sandling. Both photographs were sourced from Library and Archives Canda (see links below).
N.S. Mina Mowat’s service record (Serv/Reg# not assigned) can be viewed/downloaded in pdf format through Library and Archives Canada; and photographs here and here.
Pte. Richard Douglas Waugh’s service record (Serv/Reg# 14451 and/or 14551) at Library and Archives Canada.
The award to Mowat of the Royal Red Cross, 2nd Class, was published in The London Gazette on June 21, 1918 (#30758, p. 7313).
A biography and photos, as well as a telegram and letter related to Mowat’s ARRC award, have been posted on the provincial Archives of Manitoba website, part of a scrapbook made by her husband Richard Douglas Waugh, Waugh family fonds.